Sunday 16 September 2012

Skinny Breakfast Sundaes

I'm really getting into this food blogging! Apart from the fact it means I have a record of my recipes (I used to be so bad at writing things down before I started doing this), one of the best things about food blogging is that I've discovered loads of food blogs I'd never come across before and got some great ideas from them.

Here are a few of my favourites.

http://antoniathecuisinequeen.blogspot.co.uk/  http://wannabequeenofcuisine.co.uk/ : First off a friend of mine. Antonia probably loves food as much as anyone I know and her passion really comes across in her blog. She's a weight watchers leader so theres a great mixture of healthy ideas and twists on indulgent treats. She has two websites at the moment. The second link includes a restaurant blog with her own reviews of some great Liverpool restaurants. Keep it up Ant, loving your work!

http://thevoguevegetarian.wordpress.com/ : Another friend from Liverpool. Some fab food photography and some gorgeous vegetarian food ideas. Love the blog Kirsty!

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/ I've posted a link to this one before but its still one of my favourites. All vegan and all about the desserts. I couldn't get enough of her chocolate chip blondies made with chickpeas. (Sounds weird I know but it really works!) She's given me so many ideas.

http://amybites.com/ Amy's blog description reads, "A little healthy, a little sweet, a lot delicious!" I couldn't agree more. She does like healthy alternatives and wholesome ingredients but some of the recipes in her 'Sunday Sweets' section are unapologetically naughty. Her latest post of Kahlua Brownies looks absolutely to die for!
http://www.girlmakesfood.com/ This blog is all about food, health and nutrition so its right up my street. There are some gorgeous vegetarian meal ideas and she uses some unusual healthy ingredients. I cant wait to try her Socca flatbreads. I recently made her banana nut granola. It was completely free from refined sugar and absolutely delicious. The sweetness came from the banana but as I have a really sweet tooth I added a generous squeeze of agave nectar.With milk, this granola tasted like crunchy nut clusters but with a fraction of the sugar. I also used this granola in this simple breakfast idea: My skinny breakfast sundaes! A light nutritious breakfast that tastes like a real treat. It would be great for a snack or a dessert as well.

Skinny Breakfast Sundaes:

Ingredients:

100mls fat free Greek yogurt
3 tablespoons homemade sugar free jam or fresh fruit.
3 tablespoons homemade granola (recipe above)

Directions,

Its easy, layer the fruit or jam, and yogurt,top with the crunchy granola and tuck in!

The jam was really easy to make, basically boil some strawberries or other berries with a generous squeeze of agave nectar and a little water just covering the bottom of the pan. Let this boil fairly fast for about 10 minutes until the fruit has started to break down and the liquid has reduced. Chill n the fridge until thickened to a jam-like consistency. It will keep in the fridge for about a week. The agave nectar makes it really sweet without the artificial taste of other sweeteners but keeps the GI low. In case you hadn't realised yet its one of my favourite ingredients and I seem to be putting it in everything at the moment. This tastes better than real jam, with half the calories and more of the real fruit goodness. SWEET!











No comments:

Post a Comment